MedGenome Labs Ltd. is a next generation genomics company with India headquarters in Bangalore and offices in San Francisco in the US and is backed by well-known investors in India and the US. It is a market leader in the clinical genomics space in India and drives research solutions for global biotech and pharma customers in key disease areas such as oncology, ophthalmology, metabolic diseases, neurology and rare diseases.
The successful candidate will be a full-time employee of MedGenome and will work for the
Bioinformatics R&D DATA group to provide support for various research projects.
The Bioinformatics scientist will provide support with the development, validation, and implementation
of data analysis for various projects including development of tools/databases and research publications.
- Lead the data analysis of various genomics project handling large data.
- Integration of in-house and external data sources for interpretation of the data.
- Coordination with various research groups at MedGenome.
- Development of efficient framework and tools for data analysis.
- Development of robust quality control for the data.
- Develop, validate and implement latest bioinformatics technologies.
- Develop, evaluate, and validate bioinformatics tools to establish correctness of the tool.
- Prepare reports, charts, graphs, and presentations as required.
- 2-5 years of experience in the area of genomics and bioinformatics.
- Problem solving, multi-tasking and strong development skills.
- Proficient in at least one of the programming languages a big must: Python, Perl.
- Proficient in R programming and various packages related to bioinformatics.
- Knowledge in at least one of the following areas – population genomics, ancestry, GWAS, Imputation, data mining, diagnostics applications, Bayesian applications.
- Strong knowledge of NGS data analysis especially DNA-seq analysis including variant calling, annotation and interpretation.
- Knowledge of various bioinformatics tools – GATK, Samtools, freebayes, BWA, Bowtie, STAR, Picard, bedtools, Samblaster, VeP, Hail.
- Knowledge of working of large databases – gnomAD, ExAC, UKBiobank, TopMed, UCSC, 1000Genome and other databases.
- Experience with the development and deployment of the large genomic datasets or equivalent datasets.
- Knowledge of statistical methods.
- Knowledge of databases – mySQL/ORACLE, noSQL framework like MongoDb.
- Knowledge of data and quality metrics of different sequencing platforms – Illumina, Pacbio, Ion Torrent, 10X and various array platforms.
- PhD/Post-doc in a scientific discipline related to the responsibilities of the position (i. e. Bioinformatics, Biology, Computer Science, Informatics). Strong track record of problem solving and publication in peer reviewed journals.
You will also be expected to have:
- Excellent communication, written and presentation skills.
- “Roll-up-your-sleeves” entrepreneurial, start-up attitude.
- The ability to work across teams and functions effectively.